Come and celebrate United Nations Day in Brussels with the UN Team in Brussels, the UN Associations of Belgium and the European Youth Forum at Grand Place.
Visit the UN Information Village. Discuss and learn about humanitarian assistance, development, human rights, as well as peace and security issues.
Find out what the UN is doing in Brussels and how you can support its work.
The event takes place with the generous support of the City of Brussels.
Special focus on the Millennium Development Goals: fighting poverty through employment, ensuring food security, empowering women, defending human rights, promoting health, combating AIDS, safeguarding biodiversity and protecting the environment.
- Your Web Guide to the United Nations (PDF)
- Documents and materials displayed at the UN Information Village (PDF)
Also on the occasion of United Nations Day which commemorates the foundation of the organisation in 1945, the Mayor of Brussels, Mr. Freddy Thielemans, the President of the Vereniging voor de Verenigde Naties, Professor Frank Maes, and the President of l’Association pour les Nations Unies, Honorary Ambassador Michel Adam are organizing an informative and reflective gathering on the subject: “Belgium, Europe and the United Nations” on 24 October 2010 at 3 pm, the Gothic Hall in the City Hall of Brussels.
In addition to the persons mentioned above, the following public figures will take the floor:
- Mr.Steven Vanackere, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Mr. Antonio Vigilante, Resident Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Belgium
- Video messages by the Secretary-General of the UN, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, and the President of the European Council, Mr.Herman Van Rompuy
Musical intermezzo: « Poussières d’étoiles » choir conducted by Roselyne Marlier – Academy of Arts of the City of Brussels
The meeting will be followed by a reception hosted by the College of Mayor and Aldermen of the City of Brussels.