The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) sits at the centre of the UN system for reducing risk, convening and coordinating risk reduction activities towards a more resilient future, protecting gains made towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
We challenge our stakeholders and partners to think and act differently about disasters, shifting focus from picking up the pieces post disaster to risk-proofing the start of any development investment.
We also support Member States in implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, monitoring and reviewing progress. We promote stories and news about where risk reduction is working. And we curate knowledge and ideas from around the globe to contribute to our understanding of risk.
We have a core staff based in our headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and regional and liaison offices supporting Member States around the world to build a safer, more resilient future for all.
What we do
- We coordinate international efforts in DRR and guide, monitor as well as report regularly on the progress of the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030. We organize a biennial Global Platform on disaster risk reduction with leaders and decision makers to advance risk reduction policies and support the establishment of regional, national and thematic platforms.
- We advocate for greater investments in risk reduction actions to protect people’s lives and assets including climate change adaptation, more education on DRR and increased participation of men and women in the decision-making process.
- We inform and connect people by providing practical services and tools such as PreventionWeb platform, publications on good practices, country profiles and the Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction which is an authoritative analysis of global disaster risks and trends.
- We campaign to create global awareness of disaster risk reduction benefits and empower people to reduce their vulnerability to hazards. Our current campaign “Prevention Saves Lives” focuses investment into prevention to save lives and livelihoods.
- We support cities and local governments on their paths to building resilient communities through the Making Cities Resilient 2030 initiative by connecting them to resources, tools and services from a global alliance.
Covering 55 countries in Europe and Central Asia, UNDRR Regional Office for Europe supports the development of policies and actions towards a more resilient future. We assist countries to monitor and track achievements towards implementing the Sendai Framework, support the development of national and local DRR strategies, build greater engagement with the private sector, and provide policy advice.
Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNDRR
UN House, 37 – 40 Boulevard du Régent
1000, Brussels, Belgium
Tel.: +32 (0) 22 902 588
E: [email protected]