18 September 2012 – The 67th session of the General Assembly of the United Nations opens in New York today, with the General Debate scheduled for Tuesday, 25 September.
During the 67th session of the General Assembly, the EU and/or its Member States will focus on the following priorities:
• the follow-up and implementation of the Rio+20 outcome;
• the preparation of the 2013 Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) review and the post-2015 development framework;
• the promotion of human rights, democracy and the rule of law;
• strengthening the effectiveness of the UN and supporting the necessary reforms in key areas.
Various European Union leaders, including European Commission President, José Manuel Barroso, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Catherine Ashton, and European Council President, Herman Van Rompuy, will participate in high-level events throughout the ministerial week beginning on Monday, 24 September. For more information on each EU leader’s participation and a list of press contacts, please click here.
The world is watching. Will you?
• General Assembly’s website
• UN Webcast (for live coverage of meetings & on-demand videos of past events)
• United Nations Blog (for daily updates, starting on 24 September, about major events taking place, behind-the-scenes content only available on social media and details about how to take part in events on social media platforms)
• Calendar of UN events
The General Assembly is the main deliberative, policy-making and representative organ of the United Nations. It comprises all 193 UN Members and provides a unique forum for multilateral discussion of the full spectrum of international issues covered by the Charter. The Assembly meets in regular session intensively from September to December each year, and thereafter as required.