The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Brussels Mission has the pleasure to invite you to the final conference of the project “Raising awareness on Unaccompanied Minors’ (UAMs) rights in Europe“.
Date & Time: 25 October 2010, 10 am to 1:30 pm
Venue: Salle Polak, Residence Palace – rue de la Loi/Wetstraat 155, 1040 Bruxelles.
The project, co-funded by the European Commission, aims to raise awareness among UAMs, residing in EU countries’ reception centres, on the rights they are entitled to as children and on the risks they face either by migrating alone or by leaving the structures they are hosted in.
To that end, the final conference will be an opportunity to not only further raise the unaccompanied minors’ issue in Europe, but to also present the latest EU developments and objectives in this field, as well as discuss national report findings on UAMs rights and disappearances through out individual EU Member States.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Mr. Melchior Wathelet, Belgian State Secretary in charge of migration and asylum policy in the frame of the Belgian EU presidency;
- Ms. Diane Schmitt, Head of Unit Immigration and Integration, European Commission, DG Home Affairs;
- Ms. Blanche Tax, Senior Policy officer, UNHCR;
- Ms. Margaret Wachenfeld, Senior policy adviser, UNICEF;
- Ms. Rebecca O’Donnell, Policy and advocacy adviser, Save The Children
IOM will also premier extracts of “My Name Is”, a film realized in the frame of the project targeting unaccompanied minors and their rights. DVDs will be distributed to participants.
For registration or additional information, please contact: [email protected] or +32. (0)2.287.74.26
- Conference programme (PDF)