Monday, 25 July 2011, Rome
An international emergency meeting will be held in Rome on Monday, 25 July 2011, to examine measures to address the crisis in the Horn of Africa and to mobilize international support for affected countries.
The meeting, organized by FAO at the request of the French Presidency of the Group of 20, is expected to be attended by Ministers and senior representatives from FAO’s 191 member countries, other UN bodies, inter-governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and regional development banks.
The meeting will start at 09.30 at FAO Headquarters, Rome, Building A, Red Room. The conference is open to the media.
A press conference will follow at approximately 12.30h (Building B, Iran Room).
Participants will be:
- Bruno Le Maire, French Minister for Agriculture, Food, Fishery, Rural Affairs and Land Use Planning (for the French Presidency of the G20)
- A high-level representative from the Horn of Africa
- Jacques Diouf, FAO Director-General
- Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General and Emergency Relief Coordinator
- Josette Sheeran, WFP Executive Director
- Kanayo F. Nwanze, IFAD President
- Barbara Stocking, Chief Executive Director Oxfam UK
The meeting and the press conference will be webcast at:
For accreditation please send a copy of a valid press card or a letter of assignment on company stationery, plus picture ID by e-mail to [email protected]