What? A panel discussion forum, with Chatham House rules, on: “Understanding and influencing the global counter-terrorism agenda: the media perspective”.
The global struggle against terrorism continues to raise the question: what role the media has in raising awareness about terrorism and the struggle against it.
That struggle also has an impact upon the work of the media. Concerns have focused on direct threats to press freedom through intrusive surveillance and curtailment of privacy and freedom of expression. At the same time media have been accused of playing into the hands of terrorist propaganda. There are continued calls for responsible reporting and adherence to codes of conduct as well as strong pressure to disclose sources. Journalists themselves are often also the ones in the front line of the struggle becoming actual targets and real victims.
These issues will be the subject of an open discussion which will take place as part of the observance of World Press Freedom Day (3 May).
When? 29 April 9:30 to 11:30
- Pol Deltour, Secretary General of the Belgian Union of Professional Journalists (Flemish Section), moderator;
- Ambassador Torbjorn Froysnes, Director and Special representative of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe;
- Gilles de Kerchove, EU Counter-terrorism Coordinator ;
- Janos Tisovszky, representative of the UN Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force;
- Oliver Money Kyrle, Assistant General Secretary of the International Federation of Journalists
Where? International Press Centre (IPC), Residence Palace, Rue de la Loi/Wetstraat, 155, 1040 Brussels – Foyer of the Theatre, Level -1
Languages: English and French, No interpretation
- The International Federation of Journalists
- Reporters without Borders
- The Belgian Association of Professional Journalists AJPb
- The Council of Europe
- The EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator Office
- The UN Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force (CTITF)
- The UN Regional Information Centre for Western Europe (UNRIC)
Those interested in attending the panel discussion should contact [email protected] to confirm their participation.